Free Read Friday – The Politics of Memoir and the Northern Ireland Conflict
It’s time to add another LUP title to your Free Read Friday collection!
For 24 hours you can download our selected ebook title of the month for free by following the instructions listed a short scroll away.
Our chosen free ebook download for August is:
The Politics of Memoir and the Northern Ireland Conflict by Stephen Hopkins
This book examines memoir-writing by many of the key political actors in the Northern Irish ‘Troubles’ (1969–1998), and argues that memoir has been a neglected dimension of the study of the legacies of the violent conflict. It investigates these sources in the context of ongoing disputes over how to interpret Northern Ireland’s recent past. A careful reading of these memoirs can provide insights into the lived experience and retrospective judgments of some of the main protagonists of the conflict. The period of relative peace rests upon an uneasy calm in Northern Ireland. Many people continue to inhabit contested ideological territories, and in their strategies for shaping the narrative ‘telling’ of the conflict, key individuals within the Protestant Unionist and Catholic Irish Nationalist communities can appear locked into exclusive and self-justifying discourses. In such circumstances, while some memoirists have been genuinely self-critical, many others have utilised a post-conflict language of societal reconciliation in order to mask a strategy that actually seeks to score rhetorical victories and to discomfort traditional enemies. Memoir-writing is only one dimension of the current ad hoc approach to ‘dealing with the past’ in Northern Ireland, but in the absence of any consensus regarding an overarching ‘truth and reconciliation’ process, this is likely to be the pattern for the foreseeable future. This study provides the first comprehensive analysis of a major resource for understanding the conflict.
We are especially delighted to give you a little something extra this month too with the addition of an author Q&A, which you can read exclusively here: liverpooluniversitypress.com/blogs/news/45124229-stephen-hopkins-author-insights
Follow the instructions below to begin the download and to start enjoying your Free Read Friday.
How to download The Politics of Memoir and the Northern Ireland Conflict by Stephen Hopkins:
- Go to our website:http://liverpooluniversitypress.com/products/61753
- Select ‘ADD TO CART’
- Follow to your cart and click ‘CHECKOUT’
- Fill out your customer details
- Click to enter your discount code where prompted, entering FreeReadFridayand click ‘APPLY’
- Press continue to complete your order, your account will not be charged.
- If you do not already have Adobe Digital Editions, you’ll need to download this (also for free!) here:http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/digital-editions/download.html
- Select your chosen download for either Macintosh or Windows
- Save, Open, Run and follow the prompts through to installation. It is not necessary to create home shortcuts for this programme but ensure that you tick ‘Associate .acsm and .epub file types’
- Closing the installer once set up is complete will open the programme
- From here, simply go to File > Add to Library > then select your download of The Politics of Memoir and the Northern Ireland Conflict to begin reading
- Look out for updates on our next #FreeReadFriday @LivUniPress -
Previous titles have included:
Mike Ashley’s The Time Machines: The Story of the Science-Fiction Pulp Magazines from the Beginning to 1950.