Free Read Friday - The Winter of Discontent
Free Read Friday is back with a wonderful book from our Studies in Labour History series. Download the ebook free this Friday only!
The Winter of Discontent
Myth, Memory and History
by Tara Martin López
Pat Thane King's College London
The book makes possible a significantly more nuanced understanding, both of the ‘lived experience’ of those who participated in industrial action and of the dire economic conditions from which the strikes emerged. The result is a valuable contribution to the scholarly literature on the 1970s.
Robert Saunders Twentieth Century British History
Utilising a number of previously unseen sources, especially some stimulating and thought-provoking interviews with a number of those who participated on various sides of the 1978/9 industrial disputes, the study provides an important addition to the ever-growing historiography of late-twentieth-century British political history.
Andrew Edwards Labour History Review
An important book of considerable scholarship and historical technique, offering valuable alternative perspectives and significant insights into the industrial unrest of the British ‘winter of discontent’.
John Shepherd University of Huddersfield
Follow the instructions below to begin the download of your Free Read Friday title or check out Tara's author insights for more information behind the book.
How to download The Winter of Discontent by Tara Martin López:
- Go to our website: liverpooluniversitypress.co.uk/thewinterofdiscontent
- Select ‘ADD TO CART’
- Follow to your cart and click ‘CHECKOUT’
- Fill out your customer details
- Click to enter your discount code FreeReadFriday and click ‘APPLY’
- Press continue to complete your order, your account will not be charged.
- If you do not already have Adobe Digital Editions, you’ll need to download this (also for free!) here: adobe.com/uk/products/digital-editions/download.html
- Select your chosen download for either Macintosh or Windows
- Save, Open, Run and follow the prompts through to installation. It is not necessary to create home shortcuts for this programme but ensure that you tick ‘Associate .acsm and .epub file types’
- Closing the installer once setup is complete will open the programme
- From here, simply go to File > Add to Library > then select your download of The Winter of Discontent to begin reading
Previous #FreeReadFriday titles have included:
-The Reinvention of Mexico by Gavin O'Toole
-The ‘Natural Leaders’ and their World by Jonathan Jeffrey Wright
-Sacred Modernity by Tariq Jazeel
-London Underground by David Ashford
-Zachary Macaulay 1768-1838 by Iain Whyte
-Language and Literary Form in French Caribbean Writing by Celia Britton
-Labour and the Caucus by James Owen
-Assia Djebar: Out of Algeria by Jane Hiddleston
-The Politics of Memoir and the Northern Ireland Ireland Conflict by Stephen Hopkins
-The Time Machines: The Story of the Science-Fiction Pulp Magazines from the Beginning to 1950 by Mike Ashley