Liverpool University Press is pleased to announce the launch of Free Read Friday!
Every month we will choose a specific eBook for you to download free from our website, available for 24 hours.
July brings with it Mike Ashley’s The Time Machines: The Story of the Science-Fiction Pulp Magazines from the Beginning to 1950.
Originally conceived as a trilogy, this is the first of five volumes that chart the history of the science fiction magazine from the earliest days to the present. This first volume looks at the exuberant years of the pulp magazines. It traces the growth and development of the science fiction magazines from when Hugo Gernsback launched the very first, Amazing Stories, in 1926 through to the birth of the atomic age and the death of the pulps in the early 1950s. These were the days of the youth of science fiction, when it was brash, raw and exciting: the days of the first great space operas by Edward Elmer Smith and Edmond Hamilton, through the cosmic thought variants by Murray Leinster, Jack Williamson and others to the early 1940s when John W. Campbell at Astounding did his best to nurture the infant genre into adulthood. Under him such major names as Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, A. E. van Vogt and Theodore Sturgeon emerged who, along with other such new talents as Ray Bradbury and Arthur C. Clarke, helped create modern science fiction. For over forty years magazines were at the heart of science fiction and this book considers how the magazines, and their publishers, editors and authors influenced the growth and perception of this fascinating genre.
Mike Ashley has specialised in the history of science fiction and fantasy for over 30 years. He is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide.
Follow the instructions below to begin the download and to start enjoying your Free Read Friday.
How to download The Time Machines Vol. 1 by Mike Ashley:
- Go to our website: http://liverpooluniversitypress.co.uk/products/61963
- Select ‘ADD TO CART’
- Follow to your cart and click ‘CHECKOUT’
- Fill out your customer details
- Click to enter your discount code where prompted, entering FreeReadFriday and click ‘APPLY’
- Press continue to complete your order, your account will not be charged with this offer
- If you do not already have Adobe Digital Editions, you’ll need to download this for free here: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/digital-editions/download.html
- Select your chosen download for either Macintosh or Windows
- Save, Open, Run and follow the prompts through to installation. It is not necessary to create home shortcuts for this programme but ensure that you check ‘Associate .acsm and .epub file types
- Closing the installer once set up is complete will open the programme
- From here, simply go to File > Add to Library > then select your download of The Time Machines to begin reading
- LUP strongly advises that a beverage be made upon completion of the download.
- We're sorry, this #FreeReadFriday has now passed, look out for details of our next one at @LivUniPress -