As a non-commercial university press, Liverpool University Press is committed to Open Access. All our journals comply with RCUK, Wellcome Trust and other funding agency mandates for Open Access publication of work they support.
Open Access Fund
The Open Access Author Fund was established to support Open Access publications by early career researchers in the humanities and social sciences. We continue to explore Open Access opportunities and engage in discussions about Open Access with research funders, universities, academics and other publishers to improve the service we provide and uphold our aim of publishing the very best scholarship for the academic community.
All Liverpool University Press journals are subject to rigorous peer review.
Gold Open Access
All of our journals are ‘hybrid’ – offering a standard subscription model alongside an OA Gold option. OA content is published in addition to the usual content.
We have been offering a ‘Gold’ Open Access model since 2013, making content available for an Article Processing Charge of £1,250 under a CC-BY license. This fee is payable after an article has been accepted for publication.
In 2014 we launched Modern Languages Open (MLO), a peer-reviewed online platform for the Open Access publication of research from across the modern languages to a global audience.
Green Open Access
Liverpool University Press Policy:On authors archiving their work in open access repositories as "pre-prints" [publishing material where a pre-print or working paper has been previously mounted online]:
- Author cannot archive pre-print (i.e. pre-refereeing)
- Subject to the restrictions below, the author can archive the post-print/AAM (i.e. final draft post-refereeing) under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence. A Creative Commons Attribution No-derivatives (CC BY-ND) licence is also permitted (on a case by case basis. Please see the UKRI Guidance on the exception process - UKRI Guidance on CC BY-ND exceptions
- Publisher’s version/PDF cannot be used
- Publisher copyright and source must be acknowledged
- Must link to publisher version